Letterpress

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Mind of Swerve: Personality Switch '05

I don't miss the dreads.
Several people have been asking, "When is Swerve gonna drop something new?" "When is the next live show?" "Please Swerve, can I have your babies?" Well, all of these questions have been stirring in my brain for a few months now. While I cannot say when my next live show will be, I can announce here that Swerve has begun production on his new album. In the meantime, I want to become more transparent with the work that I do. So, over the course of this year, I want to bring you into my mind. Yes, it is true that everyone will not make it out alive.


I'm always blown away when people call me mysterious. Maybe I'm smart. Maybe I'm reflective. Maybe I'm a little unpredictable. I am NOT mysterious. I have a podcast on iTunes. How can I be mysterious?
Regardless, I'm still labeled as such from some people that know me. OK, fine. I guess I will start at the beginning.   

I will start with a few Swerve relics that I've had since 2005, which is when Swerve was born out of wedlock (trivia!). These relics are stream-of-consciousness lyrics, written without music. The lyrics all came to me after a midday shower. I was feeling good because I was done with high school. Only I know the cadence, but it follows no beat. Just my mind. Without further ado, I give you the first relic, typos and all: Personality Switch '05.

 I gotta get this rap stuff off the ground and turn this hourly into salary/ get caught for extortion and slide out like Quinn Mallory/ that chick's a chicken cause she smells sweet but tastes sourly/ if I left this planet then where would all the power be?/ I got so many catch phrases they trap mice in mazes/ looking for the cheese but end up with knives and razors/ I go to a rock show and get all types of gazes/ get onstage, now they sayin' sign autographs, all types of pages/ signed Swerve where's Terry, he's dead, deceased/ was heartbroken, very spoken, then arrived the beast/ keep him on a leash/ sheesh/ I can't believe you pay five apiece/ It's hard making a decision when personalities tug/ where is the key? oh, it's hidden under the rug/ switching rhyme styles like job classes from Tactics/ on my way to command and conquer this rap shit/ so diverse I'm the number one draft pick/ rhyme flow so nasty it makes studio staff sick/cough...If i fell off my fans would be demanding me/ if I died today they'll throw a phoenix down like Final Fantasy/ the mayor handing me/ the key to the city/ blown up from the top like a skinny bitch with big titties/ excuse me, I don't mean to offend you/ but when I'm battling only Jesus Christ can defend you/ sorry in advance for grabbing ass cause I tend to/ Nowadays sexual harassment can put you in the pen too/wooo.../ any girl that I see can become my wife/ no consequence, only twists when you're defined as a Fiph/ (note: Fiph was the name of my group of friends back in the day. Edward knows.) I'm saying twist, as in twisting her fucking head off/ put strychnine in her wine and then I sped off/ psych/ hey who turned off the mic/ no feedback, no beat, no crowd, no light/ hey girl can I stay the night?/ but I don't mean to be pushy/ we can watch movies, pillow fight, then I'll eat your...naw it's mushy/ ok lets drop it and change the topic/ you're secluded in your bubble so I have to pop it/ man, I'm just keeping it real/ I'm leaping so many obstacles they call me the man of steel/ speaking of Superman, have you seen him in Metropolis?/ you can prove he's Clark Kent by a simple version of hypothesis/ cooking a fresh batch of rhymes so you can smell the aroma/ can't be held back I'm graduated with diplomas/ conjuring evil forces through hypnotic visions/ that's the action of the Reaper, I don't make those decisions/ the other night, I got into a fight with two nasty hoes/ they both sucked dick and ate nuts, pistachios/ neither could pay the bill, they spent their money on flashy clothes/ one bitch tried to dine-n-dash til the waiter screamed "there she goes!"/ the cops put her in confinement/ you stupid bitch, you coulda got away with it if you sat down and timed it/ to all you wannabe critics, thanks for your apology/ but I'm sleeping through class, so you can say I'm studying niggerology/  

  And there you have it. Man, it was weird re-reading over some of that stuff. It even made me laugh and I'm the person who wrote it! If it offended you...uh...good! Here is what the original looks like. Yup, it's really that blurry. Stay tuned for more in the timeline of Swerve.

Oh, I almost forgot. No kids. Ever!

-Terry


7 comments:

  1. I gotta see the music video to this song...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see it in my head, but damn it would be hard to film. A diorama, however, would be amazing. Hm, I might do that. The next Swerve relic that I will post is a little more flexible to film.

      Delete
    2. I don't know what you mean diorama. Like one of those models where there are action figures and such?

      Delete
  2. Terry terry terry... Oops Swerve! You can because you do. You're real as shit with those ff nods. '05. Fuck! We must be in an alternate reality from back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Nah, I suppose I'm Terry when I'm writing here. You know I'm going to be as meta as I can be. Especially with written work. I mean, I think it gives the listener replay value. They listen to it once like cool. They listen to it again and are like, "Did you hear him talking about FF or Sliders or Of Mice and Men?" I want someone to pick up a book or watch a video after they listen (or read) some of my work. I want them to keep going, keep expanding their mind.

      Delete
    2. As far as the alternate reality scenario...I have traveled through quite a few since 2005. I have gathered knowledge from all of them and made mistakes in all of them. This year might take the cake. Yeah, it will.

      Delete