Letterpress

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Buried Underground: DOOM part I

BURIED UNDERGROUND

Beneath the false florescent glow of the demanding, egotistical "superstars" of the musical entertainment hierarchy lies a beast that is as hot as the Earth's core. Avoided by the press and those seeking to pay anyone willing to get tattoos and plastic surgery, the beast gets hungrier and more creative. It begins to bend the rules and challenge the ideals of what truly is the pinnacle of musical performance and experience.

As an enthusiast of the arts, I am compelled to introduce an underground beast. This beast goes by many names and has the ability to capture both the wisdom of hip-hop and the imagination of everything else. Like Einstein jumping out of a comic strip, I give you the villain, MF DOOM...




 Yes, the villain wears a mask

MF DOOM changed the way I listened to hip-hop. His lyrics and producing skills are made of a higher caliber than anything on the Top 40 charts. Hell, DOOM is never afraid to spit knowledge over any hot beat, as opposed to the "fun-sized" rappers in the mainstream. Believe me, if they weren't backed by loud, heartbeat mimicking bass, you wouldn't give a fuck. You just want to dance to the beat. While there is nothing wrong with that, DOOM doesn't take his fans or his craft lightly. Here's a reason why...(interview begins around 3:00)

 
240p be damned, that interview speaks volumes. I get inspired every time I watch it. While I don't want to be Wikipedia, I urge you to read up on this man's accomplishments. My next post will feature my favorite DOOM records and why. Until then here's a taste...


-Terry



 



No comments:

Post a Comment